Few Discussion about Elctric bike Shipping
Not every e-bike are the same. Some are designed to be road bikes, while others are designed to be mountain bikes. There are some that fall somewhere in between, like urban models meant for commuting and recreational riding. Each has its own frame structure and tires, which require different considerations when it comes time to ship them. A lot of people are scared to ship their electric bikes. They don’t know how to ship an ebike, or they’re afraid that something will be broken when they receive their bike.
This article will help you understand the process of shipping your electric bike, and it will tell you how to receive your bike in the best possible condition. It will also give you some tips on how to pack your bike in a way that minimizes potential damage during shipping. Shipping an electric bike is more than just throwing it into a box and shipping it off. It requires some preparation, and there are several things that you can do to reduce the chances of damage to your bike.
Follow us here to know how to ship an ebike without any hassles.
Shipping The Electric Bike Using A Bike Box
Electric bikes are becoming more and more popular as people understand how this green transport adds benefits to the whole transportation system. They have lots of advantages over traditional bikes. One of the biggest is that they can go further than a traditional bike, allowing riders to extend their range and see new parts of the city.
Electric bikes are relatively new, so many people don’t know how to pack them up when they want to ship them. That’s why we are here are to give our readers a few suggestions on how to make it easier to get the e-bike.
The easiest way to ship your electric bike is with a bike box. Bike boxes are easy to find and are specifically designed to protect your bike during transit. Using the right kind of box for your bike will help prevent damage that could occur in transit.
There are many different types of bike boxes. If you’re shipping a mountain or road bike, you’ll need to measure your frame and wheels before buying a box. The standard size for road bikes is 50 x 33 x 20 cm, but there are other sizes available to meet the needs of other types of bikes.
Basics about e-bike Shipping with lithium batteries
E-bike is not like a regular bike. Especially, the lithium-ion battery is the sensitive portion that makes an electric bike different from a standard bicycle. Also, the size& weight of the e-bike is different than any conventional bicycle. ebikes are heavier and larger.
However, let’s come to the point, how to ship an e-bike? Before shipping this precise item, you have to know about one thing. As lithium batteries are classified as dangerous goods, therefore all courier companies place remarkable restrictions on shipping on it.
A lithium battery weighs up to 3 to 4 kg. We are talking about the significance of this item causes it is flammable. At the time of shipping, it can cause a fire. Before shipping your electric bike with a lithium battery, be sure about the approval to ship it. The manufacturer of your bicycle needs to have all government and regulatory approval to ship the bikes.
Courier companies like USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL will never ship your bike automatically if it has a lithium-ion battery. So the additional cost will need to ship bikes with this battery.
Furthermore, most e-bikes need larger and odd-sized packing, which increases the price and the hassle of the shipping. For local shipment, ground service is preferable. If you need to ship the bikes internationally, consider the ocean freight. Air shipment gives extra trouble; it needs a huge documentary with additional cost.
Step To Step Guide To Ship The Electric Bike With The Battery
In order to ship your electric bike with a lithium-ion battery (installed on your bike), you need to follow the below-listed steps-
- You have to know whether your bike is with a lithium metal battery or does it have a lithium-ion battery. Couriers will differently handle your bike depending on the battery type.
- Now you need to get the approval to ship your bicycle. Approval from the airlines/courier company/responsible national authorities etc.
- Now decide whether you will pack your bike own or will leave the packing task to the courier company. If you pack the bike, be ensure it has done accurately.
- Shipping the bike with a lithium battery needs to level its” dangerous goods label” on the packet.
- For more efficacy, pack the battery with someone who has a Current HazMat Certification.
- Collect all the required documents before shipping the electric bike. Especially do not forget to include the Material Safety Data Sheet (which will show all Info regarding any potentially hazardous materials like lithium battery).
- Collect the UN38.3 Certificate to prove that your battery has already been tested through UN Guideline.
- Be sure about the Certificate of Origin of your ebike. Ask your courier do they need this Certificate or not.
Tips to Ship Your Electric Bike Without Hassles
To ship a bike from one city to another or one country to another is not easy.
You have to go through some shipping companies to get the job done. Shipping the bike locally is pretty easy compared with overseas shipping to other countries. Still, it is possible to ship your e-bike from one country to another if you are well prepared for it. You just need to count extra cost with some added documents to ship your ebike from one country to another.
If you’re planning to ship your electric bike, here are some tips for you to consider.
- Make sure that you have prepared and labeled the box properly. The label should include a list of the products and accessories that are inside the box. It should also contain your shipping address, contact number, and other details that may be relevant.
- Pack your bike carefully with bubble wrap or foam sheets so it won’t get damaged during shipment.
- Do not forget to place Styrofoam pieces or crumpled newspaper between the spokes and rim, especially take care of the motor and the battery of your electric bike.
- Be careful about the ship level and all documents need to ship the bike.
Electric bike shipping can be a hassle. You can’t just put your electric bike in the trunk of your car or in a bike box and send it out for delivery. Shipping an electric bike is actually much more complex and involves many factors, big and small. However, some additional tips for shipping an ebike are-
- At first, totally turn off the power of your ebike.
- Remove all keys from your bike, and make sure there is no chance to auto on the battery while your ebike is in a transit phase.
- Use a perfect ebike box. Already I discuss above the box measurement. However, inside the box place, plenty of extra-dense foam pads or blister pockets pad so that your ebike battery and other important parts remain safe from transit jerking.
- Don’t hesitate to use a large box (Boxes Fast BFHD54828FOL Cardboard Bike Boxes).
How Much Does It Cost To Ship An Electric Bike?
If you want to ship a regular push bicycle, usually, you will need less money to ship it. Electric bikes are heavier than conventional bikes. Therefore, they charge more. Besides this, e-bikes have some advanced and sensitive electric components, for which special care need to take at the shipping time-price also increase for this.
Cost depends on the packing states of the bike as well. If the user packs the bike on their own, the shipping charge depends on the weight & the size of the bike. Otherwise, packing materials like plastic boxes bubble wrap also will cost more from the shipping company.
On average, the bike shipping cost (nationally within the US) varies from $100 to $200. This price may differ depending on the Size, Weight, Packing states, and destination point. If you want to ship the bike with the battery, the charge will increase more.
Finally, that’s all about how to ship an ebike. If you feel any discussion regarding today’s session, please feel free to attend on our comment box.